Wednesday, June 5, 2013

More Shopping Vocabulary Practice: Excuse me, do you accept American Express?


Person A.  Take turns practicing with your partner.
1.  Ask me if we accept American Express. 
     Answer:  Excuse me, do you accept American Express?
3.  Tell me to swipe my card through the slot. 
     Answer:  Swipe your card through the slot.
5.  Ask me which floor the men's formal wear is on.
     A:  Excuse me, which floor is the men's formal wear on?
7.  You are a sales clerk. Ask me if I would like to pay with another (=a different) credit card.  Answer:  Would you like to pay with another credit card?
9.  You are a sales clerk. Ask me if that will be cash or credit (=if I want to pay cash or with my credit card). Answer:  Will that be cash or credit?

    
Person B.  Take turns practicing with your partner.
2.  Ask me if I can break* a hundred-dollar bill.  *give you change for 
     Answer:  Excuse me, can you break a hundred-dollar bill?
4.  Tell me you're sorry, but you cannot accept any returns without a receipt.
     Answer:  I'm sorry, but we cannot accept any returns without a receipt.
6.  You are a sales clerk. I'm a customer. I gave you my Visa to pay for a purchase. Tell me my credit card was rejected (=not accepted). It says I have exceeded /ɛk 'si: dəd/ my credit limit.  (have gone over, spent too much, 信用限, 信用额度, límite de crédito, حد أو سقف ائتمان)  
     Answer:  I'm sorry, sir/ma'am, but your credit card was rejected. It says you have exceeded your credit limit.
8.  You are a sales clerk. Ask me how I would like to pay for my purchase. 
     Answer:  How would like to pay for your purchase?  or  How would you like to pay for that?
10. You are a customer and you are paying. Tell me you think there's a mistake in the receipt. The shoes should be fifty dollars, not a hundred. They are fifty percent off. 
     Answer:  Excuse me, but I think there's a mistake in the receipt. The shoes should be $50, not $100. They're 50% off.

No comments:

Post a Comment