Friday, October 25, 2013

Simple Past vs. Past Continuous


Fill in the blanks with the appropriate form of the verbs in parentheses.
1. Jill came to my house last night. It was 6:30. I (make) ______________ dinner when she (arrive) _______________. She didn’t stay at my house for a long time. She only (stop) _______________ by to say “hello.” After a few minutes, she (leave) _______________.
2. While I (listen) _______________ to the teacher’s lecture, I heard two words that I (not know) _______________. I (write) _______________ down the words, and after class I (look) _______________ them up in the dictionary.
3. Paul and I studied together this afternoon for our test tomorrow. We (meet) _______________ at the library, and we studied for about two hours. Then we (have) _______________ a bite (=a small amount) to eat in the student cafeteria. After that, I (go) _______________ home, but Paul went back to the library to study some more. While I (go) _______________ home, I (decide) _______________ to stop by the bank to withdraw some money from the ATM.
4. Last Sunday I went to a baseball game. It (start) _______________ at 1 p.m. The players from both teams (go) _______________ onto the field. After they (warm) _______________ up, they (begin) _______________ playing. Unfortunately, it suddenly (start) _______________ to rain really hard. In fact, they (have to) _______________ cancel the game!
5. Many Americans can remember exactly what they (do) _______________ the moment when they heard the news about the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack (
恐怖袭击, atentado terrorista) on the Twin Towers in New York. I (attend) _______________ a meeting when a secretary rushed into the room and (tell) _______________ us the horrible news.

No comments:

Post a Comment