Sunday, April 7, 2013

(Listening) Health Vocabulary: I think I'm coming down with something.



To listen, click on the following link:


I think I’m coming down with something.
 (=I think I’m starting to get sick.)
1.   to ache = to hurt (an ache)                       
          My body aches all over.
          This medicine is for the aches and pains of the flu.
2.   to have a(n)  ___ache.                             
          I have a headache.
                     an earache                 
                     a toothache


                   a stomachache     wrong: a stomache
                     a backache
  3.   the chills
          I have the chills. (=times when I suddenly feel very cold)
4.   a cough, to cough
          I have a cough. 
           I can’t stop coughing. 
           I coughed all night.
5.   to give someone some advice (noun)       
           She gave me some good advice.   Wrong:  She gave a good advice.
6.   to advise someone (not) to do s.t. (verb)  
           He advised me to eat more green vegetables.
           She advised him not to eat so much junk food.
7.   to perspire = to sweat (perspiration)          
           I’m perspiring.  I’m sweating.   
8.   plugged up = blocked                               
           My ears are plugged up.
9.   the sniffles, to sniffles                             
           I have the sniffles.  I keep sniffling. (鼻子哼哼做声, soberse los mocos, شَهِقَ اِسْتِنْشاق)
10. raw = very red and painful, especially when you swallow                        
           My throat is raw.
11. runny = adjective   I have a runny nose. 
     to run = verb   My nose is running.
12. to sneeze
           When I get a cold, I usually start sneezing. 
           Excuse me.  I think I’m going to sneeze.
           On the bus, a man sneezed right in my face. 
13. sore
          I have a sore throat.
14. stuffy, stuffed up = congested                  
           I have a stuffy nose. 
           My nose is stuffed up.
15. a temperature, a fever                              
           She has a slight fever. = She has a low temperature. = She has a low-grade fever.
           I have a high temperature. 
           I have a high fever.
16. to water
          My eyes are watering.      

No comments:

Post a Comment