Thursday, February 28, 2013

Future: (It snow tomorrow!)



Make grammatically correct sentences. Should you use will, be going to + base form, present continuous, or simple present? (Sometimes two forms are O.K.) Rewrite the sentences in parentheses.
1.  a.  (It snow tomorrow!)                                                                           Rule #__
     b.  Where did you hear that??
     a.  On the news.
     b.  I don’t believe it. I’ve lived here for 20 years, and it has never snowed.

2.  a.  (Speaking to the waiter) I’m going to have the hamburger combo. What about you, Mark?                                                                                                          
     b.  I don’t know. Everything looks so good.
     a.  Well, make up your mind! (=decide) We only have 30 minutes for lunch, you know!
     b.  (To the waiter)(I think I get the chicken burrito.)                                 Rule #__

3.  a.  (What you do right after class?)                                                          Rule #__
     b.  Why?
     a.  I need someone to help me with my homework.

4.  a.  (When the next train for Sacramento leave?)                                      Rule #__
     b.  For Sacramento?  Here’s a schedule.  Let’s take a look. Sacramento…8:30. Then at 8:45 and 9:00. They leave every fifteen minutes in peak hours*.
              *peak hours: the busiest times of the day. For transportation, peak hours are when people go to work and come home, usually from 7:30-9:00 a.m. and 4:30-6:30 p.m.


1.    a.    What are you going to do right after class? or                    è happening right away or very soon
             What are you doing right after class?
       b.    Why?
       a.    I need someone to help me with my homework.
2.    a.    It’s going to snow tomorrow!                                                                 è  to predict* the weather
       b.    Where did you hear that??                                                             *预 言, predecir, предсказывать
       a.    On the news.
       b.    I don’t believe it. I’ve lived here for 20 years,
             and it has never snowed.
3.    a.    Here comes the waitress. What are you going to order?     è happening right away or very soon
             or: What are you ordering?
       b.    Wait a second. I haven’t looked at the menu yet.
       a.    Well, hurry up. We only have 30 minutes for lunch!
       b.    OK! I think I’ll get the chicken burrito.                                è  a quick decision (I know, I think…)
4.    a.    When does the next train for Sacramento leave?               è a schedule, a habitual* event/action
       b.    For Sacramento?  Here’s a schedule.  Let’s take a look. *习惯的, 惯常的, habitual, acostumbrado, привычный
             Sacramento…8:30. Then at 8:45 and 9:00. They leave
             every fifteen minutes in peak hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment