Sunday, October 6, 2013

Simple Past vs. Past Continuous. Jill came to my house last night. I was making dinner when she arrived.

Fill in the blanks with the appropriate form of the verbs in parentheses.
1. Jill came to my house last night. It was 6:30. I (make) ______________ dinner when she (arrive) _______________. She didn’t stay at my house for a long time. She only (stop) _______________ by to say “hello.” After a few minutes, she (leave) _______________.
2. While I (listen) _______________ to the teacher’s lecture, I heard two words that I (not know) _______________. I (write) _______________ down the words, and after class I (look) _______________ them up in the dictionary.
3. Paul and I studied together this afternoon for our test tomorrow. We (meet) _______________ at the library, and we studied for about two hours. Then we (have) _______________ a bite (=a small amount) to eat in the student cafeteria. After that, I (go) _______________ home, but Paul went back to the library to study some more. While I (go) _______________ home, I (decide) _______________ to stop by the bank to withdraw some money from the ATM.
4. Last Sunday I went to a baseball game. It (start) _______________ at 1 p.m. The players from both teams (go) _______________ onto the field. After they (warm) _______________ up, they (begin) _______________ playing. Unfortunately, it suddenly (start) _______________ to rain really hard. In fact, they (have to) _______________ cancel the game!
5. Many Americans can remember exactly what they (do) _______________ the moment when they heard the news about the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack (
恐怖袭击, atentado terrorista) on the Twin Towers in New York. I (attend) _______________ a meeting when a secretary rushed into the room and (tell) _______________ us the horrible news.


No comments:

Post a Comment