Monday, March 11, 2013

Infinitive or Gerund: Part 1


Infinitive or Gerund?  Part 1:  Fill in the blanks using an infinitive (to do) or a gerund (doing).

Example: I enjoy (read) _________ spy novels.→ I enjoy reading spy novels. Verb #17 on your sheet

a.    Do you know how (use) ________________ Photoshop?  Verb #__ on your sheet
b.    Her physician has advised her to postpone (have) ______________ the operation until she loses weight. Verb #__
c.    He saw how many bags she had, so he offered (help) ________ her carry them inside the house. Verb #__
d.    I finally finished (write) _______________ my composition. Thank god! It took me forever. Verb #__
e.    I said I could do it by myself, but she insisted on (help) _______________ me. Verb #__
f.    I would like (visit) ________________ my relatives in France this summer, but I don't know if I can afford* it.  *have enough money for   Verb #__
g.    This mosquito bite itches so much! I can't help (scratch*) ______________ it! *  , rascarse, чесать, يحك   Verb #__
h.    I'm tired of (do) __________ grammar exercises all the time. Why can't we do something else? Verb #__
i.     a. Did you forget to send in the payment?
       b. No. I can distinctly (=clearly) remember (put) _____________ the check in the mail box. Verb #__

 
a. to use  Rule 8

b. having  Rule 20

c. to help  Rule 7

d. writing  Rule 18

e. helping  Rule 19

f. to visit  Rule 11

g. scratching  Rule 14

h. doing  Rule 13

i. putting  Rule 22  First I put the check in the mail box. After that, I remembered putting it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment