Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Part 8: Phrasal Verbs She grew up in a small village in Szechuan...



Part 8:  Phrasal Verbs.  Fill in the blanks. Use a two-part verb from the list. Sometimes you will need to add a pronoun, such as me, her, him, it, or them. The ˬ signs means that the two verbs must stay together; you cannot put a word between them. (They are inseparable.)
getˬup            
growˬup          
help out         
put back        
talk over
goˬon              
growˬup          
pick up           
take off                                   
throw away
1.  Before he went to bed, he __________ his shirt and pants and hung them up in the closet.
2.  She _________ in a small village in Szechuan Province, but she moved to Shanghai when she was 18 to get a job.
3.  The train stopped at Civic Center Station. Then it _________ to Powell Street Station.
4. Don't forget to set (, 设置 时间, poner, ста́вить) your alarm clock for 5:30 a.m. You need to _________ early tomorrow.
5.  a.  I can't decide whether I should get a job or continue my studies.
     b.  It's an important decision. You should _________ with your family before you make up your mind (=decide).
6.  I'm going to the concert tonight. My friend Mary just called up and asked me for a ride, so I'm going to _________ on the way.
7.  Mike was on vacation, so I had to clean everything up myself at the end of the shift (日班, el turno de..., смена). Jack was really nice and offered to _________ . We finished everything in a half hour.
8.  She took the clean dishes out of the dishwasher and _________ on the shelf.
9.  What are you doing? Don't _________ those bones! We can use them to make soup stock  (汤汁, caldo, бульо́н).
10.                            I think kids today _________ too quickly. Ten-year-old girls should not be wearing make-up and miniskirts. They look like little prostitutes!

1.  took off
2.  grew up
3.  went on
4.  get up
5.  talk it over
6.  pick her up
7.  help me out
8. put them back
9. throw away
10. grow up, are growing up

No comments:

Post a Comment